anthropology or bureaucratic white man’s land?
I went to a lecture by a published anthropologist that will go unnamed. It obliterated any notions of staying in academia.
Points of note:
- Lecture was sterile; divorced from subjects and over their heads, perhaps purposefully?
- Herskovits imagined his book Myth of the Negro Past would create for them a history and shared heritage so that they could feel confident and move forward with a renewed sense of self. In other words: white men destroyed their culture, so white people will reconstruct a history and heritage to be proud of. This saviour mentality is a well-meaning but ultimately misguided paternalistic wish to help because they cannot help themselves.
- ignorance ≠ objectivity
- Ruth Landes went to McMaster
- We are not outside of history and politics but we can still do good work (but how do we make sure of it?)
- “Master’s tools can never dismantle the master’s house.” So let’s kill anthropology as we know it.
- Praxis vs. applied anthropology